Thursday, August 7, 2008

Miscellaneous things I've been up to

I've not been doing much for the challenge this week, unless you count spinning. I'm working on some more of that black wool to add onto the scarf I'm making for Elias. The amount I'd spun up and plied already was only enough to make half a scarf. The trouble is that now that I've had more experience spinning, I'm tending to make the new yarn much thinner and more consistent which is good except that it might not blend into the rest of the project. I have to keep reminding myself to put in little bumps and to spin chunkier.

We did get the loom and I'm very happy with it. It appears to be in perfect working order. The man who made it obviously put a lot of care into it. The seller said that she probably still had the sale slip from the estate sale she got it from to tell me the name of the maker. I'm a bit silly that way; but I'd like to have his name on it somewhere. It's a family heritage thing. My great- grandparents were both artists and sold lots of work out in Arizona where they retired; it'd be so wonderful to be able to get back some of those works. With all of us descendants, the works that have stayed in the family are too few for everybody to have a piece. Luckily I have hope that these other paintings can be found as they always clearly signed them. Someday the descendants of this man may wish they had this loom that he made for his wife. I want to do whatever I can to help preserve heritage, even if it's not my own.

Our main activity for the week has been revival services. Its been a very hot week, but up under the tent, there's been a nice breeze every night. God is good to send his refreshing both spiritually and physically. A cool front came through yesterday, bringing the temperatures from 100 degrees or close to it, down to the 80's. The messages have been great; focusing on "begging for a change." We've been looking at some of the beggars that Jesus and/or his disciples ministered to and the position they were in when their lives were changed. We need to position ourselves like them in humility and dependence on God. It is his Spirit working in us that makes the change and that can't happen if we're too busy trying to live a righteous life in our own power.

See ya tomorrow for cute fuzziness,
Jayne

No comments: