Monday, July 7, 2008

Canoeing fun

We had such a great time on this trip! The water was perfect and the weather was breezy and sunny. The scenery was spectacular, expecially the rock bluffs.


We were supposed to be floating along leisurely, but still found ourselves passing up the folks in rental canoes. I guess for these racers anything that's not full blast ahead is floating. At the bend in the river where the water was calm, we stopped for lunch and swimming. Again, being racers, they had to take the opportunity to compete in several sprints. Also, this was an ideal location for anyone who wanted to to try out the lightweight cruisers. They're very tippy, as you can see.


We didn't catch sight of any wildlife other than birds; but that was enough to make me decide I needed a pair if binoculars for my birthday. There were lots of red-tailed hawks wheeling about over the rock bluffs. I'd love to be here earlier in the spring when they're nesting. There were also lots of swallows ducking and twirling about over the water, catching bugs. They're quite fearless and don't seem to mind us canoers at all.


I didn't get any pictures of the campsite with everyone gathered around the fire. I was too busy stuffing myself with a hotdog and chips. There were also a variety of little debbie snacks, but you had to be quick with 10 teens jumping into the fray. One of our neighbor campers made cherry cobbler in a dutch oven and brought it over to share. I have several dutch ovens but havn't used them much yet. I think that a casual trip like this with our small SCA household would be lots of fun. We could focus on our camping and camp cooking skills with out feeling bad for missing out on classes or other activities like we would if we did that at an event.

There are lots of neat hiking trails along the river as well, some of which include caves. I wanted to see it all, but after a day of canoeing and swimming, I was just about to tired to move one foot in front of another, not to mention go hiking; so that's something to look forward to next time.

-Jayne

No comments: