Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Challenge #3a

Surrey/Hampshire borderware Goblet


Inspiration pieces:
There are several other examples of this goblet form at the Museum of London website. As with the inkwell, I mixed red and white earthenware to get a buff colored clay and used a commercial glaze that just doesn't work. I'll be redoing this one with a better glaze when I find one. These are a little past period for my persona, but unfortunately there aren't a lot of images of pottery from exactly the right time available. I'm mid-1400's and these are dated from 1500-1530. Mine is made in one piece, thicker towards the base for stability. I did this rather than the typical 2 piece attached goblet because I read at this site:
that the unrefined clay a medieval potter would have been using was harder to join without cracking. This information coupled with the understanding that pottery was considered a lowly craft done by commoners, often during lulls in the farming schedule, I would assume the fastest way to make something would be what was done. Throwing two pieces and joining them takes more time and shelf space. On the other hand, some of the goblet forms have a smaller base, so for these, a great deal more skill would be involved in making them in one piece; so there really is room for arguing both ways.
The same situation exists for the three "cordons" decorating the top of the goblet. I chose to add these on because some of the pictures seem to show a smooth interior which would indicate to me that the protruding bands on the outside where not pressed out from the inside during the throwing process. However, just as many of the pictures do show indentations on the interior wall. Perhaps it was done both ways. I think for the same reasons for making the goblet in one piece, when I make more of these, I will add the cordons in the throwing stage. My goblet measures 130 mm by 90 mm which is a bit bigger than the examples sited but within reason. It has been used at feast and holds a enough drink so that I'm not constantly asking for refills as is often the case with goblets.
Shortly after finishing this item, I was referred to a pottery laurel who had made a similar goblet, but his looks like it'd fit in to the Museum's collection perfectly. I will be talking to him about formulating glazes as soon as I have a studio space again. Here's his:
-Jayne

No comments: