Friday, October 7, 2011

Fuzzy Friday

It's about time for an update on the dogs, Chloe and Bear. They are both doing well, but time is moving and it's sad to stop and realize that Chloe in particular is getting older. Bear is too, but he still acts like a puppy (I doubt he'll ever really grow up). If memory serves me right, we got Chloe in 2003, so she is now 8 years old; Bear is probably about 4 or 5.

This last winter Chloe gave us a bit of a scare. It was rather cold, so we let them come in the house for the night but Chloe just refused to get up. After calling & pleading for her to get up, she finally did, but very slowly and as if in great pain. She had seemed fine earlier in the day and we still have no idea what happened. She was like this for several days, once even needing to be picked up and brought back in after an outside potty break.

It was very sad to see her like this, but we did our best to comfort her while contemplating that awful decision that often comes at the end of a good dog's life.
Thankfully, we were spared that decision; she was suddenly back to her old self just as quickly as she had taken ill.

Bear, of course, is full of energy and can't understand why Chloe won't play with him as often as she used to. Sometimes you can actually see Chloe looking down her nose at him & his "immature antics."

He is also very proud of his jumping ability which can be quite startling when you are the hurdle. One minute I might be peacefully sitting out in the soft grass, enjoying a nice breeze & the birds singing, then, zooom, this big blonde cannonball of a dog just narrowly misses my face! Here he is with a more convenient (for me) obstacle.


The following picture may not be suitable for the overly tender-hearted, but I include it because of how proud I am of my Chloe-hunter.

I had lost three of my beautiful, sweet bunnies to a varmint attack but the nasty critter was completely avoiding the trap set for it. Not wanting to waste any more time, I took Chloe into the bunny barn. I had been a bit concerned that she would scare the rabbits or even go after them (she does love to chase our wild yard-bunnies). Instead, she seemed to know exactly what I wanted from her, she completely ignored the rabbits and quietly sniffed around,....... nothing, so we went out and checked the perimeter of the shed. At a woodpile to the back she got pretty excited and started digging at the boards until she uncovered the evil bunny murderer. No possum tricks for Chloe, she made sure this one was good and dead.

I think she looks just a bit smug.

Next time, one last update, on the bunnies.

Have a fun weekend,
-Jayne

No comments: