Thursday, October 6, 2011

More Michigan

As I mentioned before, last summer we took a trip to the Keweenaw peninsula in the upper peninsula of Michigan. Map is copied from Exploring the North



My Grandparents who we were visiting lived in Dollar Bay (they now live in southern Texas). While there we took the tour around "Copper Country"

The spot were you can see two waters. When they still lived in the cabin on Rice lake that Grandpa built, this was how us kids knew we were almost there. Lake Superior is above with Rice Lake below it.

This is Rice Lake, where many years ago I caught my first "keeper" fish, a 15" long Walleye. We didn't have time for any fishing this trip, but Grandma had some in the freezer. I'm not a big fan of fish but walleye is soooooo so very good, especially the way Grandma makes it. And WOW, this one was huge; it was like eating a big fat steak!

The roadsides all along our route are covered with berry bushes; this one is a thimble berry but no berries this time of year (late Aug). We did stop and pick lots of blueberries though. I was too busy picking to get pictures. The berries were tiny and the plant grows low to the ground but it is well worth the effort of picking; wild, fresh berries are so full of flavor & sweetness that it makes store-bought ones taste like wet sawdust. Grandma made us a blueberry pie that day and we had enough left over for blueberry pancakes for several days.


Everyone has to stop at the snow meter north of Mohawk; click on the pic to see it larger & read what the previous winter's snowfall amounted to.


I don't remember where along the route this was, but I think it was at Eagle Harbor. Silly, yes, but also lots of fun.


The gentle sloping side of Mount Brockway (up by Copper Harbor on the map) The drive up the mountain is fun; very twisty & turny with beautiful views once you reach the top. I'll share more pictures from here another day.

Edit: after posting I noticed that the map pic was cropped & doesn't show Copper Harbor...oops

We stopped for a pick-nick along the beautiful, craggy shoreline. The weather was quite warm for up there but the flies were merciless! After a yummy meal at the little roadside grill, Eric and I and my Mom were naughty: we snuck off to explore the shoreline while Dad cleaned up :) Love ya Dad!

On our tour of the peninsula we also stopped at several waterfalls & Grandpa showed us where he likes to do a little copper prospecting, but I've got lots more pictures of those places so they will be featured here later.

See ya tomorrow,
-Jayne

No comments: