Friday, February 13, 2009

Fuzzy Friday: Sheep!

If only I had known then what I know now!! To think of how good a spinner I could be if I'd started back when I was just a little girl in 4H. Of course, my 4H sheep were of the meat breeds, so the wool wouldn't have been great in quality. It still would've been neat!


Freckles was my first sheep, and this was my first year in 4H. I think I was in the sixth grade at this time. I remember that I had gone out for cheerleading that year, like my big sister. However, I didn't make it onto the team, only the alternate. When joining 4H was mentioned as something else I could do, I jumped at the chance; I liked animals and had always been more of a tom-boy, anyway.


Princess was the sheep I raised in my second year. She had such a lovely black face and long black stockings. This picture actually ended up in a newspaper.


The next year I "moved up" to raising beef cattle and my little sister started her first year in 4H with Lambie-pie. Little sis couldn't decide which big sister to take after so she did both 4H for a while, then cheerleading....and was good at both!

I really loved the experiences I had in 4H and all it taught me, both practically in caring for animals, and character-wise, in building self-confidence and teaching responsibility. I stayed in 4H a total of 7 years when I graduated high school and went on to college. Since then, I've always wanted animals around me and still look forward to the day when my husband and I can have a piece of land to raise our own livestock. Until then, I'm glad I have Mr. Mac's goats to play with, and my bunnies.

Hopefully by the end of this month I'll have new goat pictures. Mary, the white saanan goat is the first one due to kid, perhaps as early as the 18th. She's also the best milker, so we're looking forward to fresh milk again once the little one has been weaned.

See ya later,
-Jayne

No comments: