Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Latin lessons #2

This week's Latin is the remainder of last week's Psalm:


complete with authentic-looking ink splots!

I did a little research this week on calligraphy hands by looking at some of the digitized manuscripts from 15th century England. I also looked at some from Flanders and France, as these countries had a great deal of influence in art and fashion during this time, especially for my area of England being so close to the ports trading with these countries. It seems from what I've seen so far that the basic black letter hand will work fine, especially as I tweak it a little for certain letters and letter combinations. I also have a lot to learn about typical abbreviations; they nearly form a language of their own, so if I want to be able to read period documents, understanding their shorthand will be important.

-Jayne

1 comment:

KR said...

WOW. I'm amazed! I've always wanted to learn Latin but I have never been able to find the time to do it. It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. :) Well done!

Kristin
http://reclaimingthehome.typepad.com