
One of my challenge goals is to learn latin. I will consider this challenge to be met when I'm able to read a medieval manuscript. A year or two ago, we went to an exhibition of various works related to the Medici family. Included in the exhibit was a page of poetry written by one of the Medici, I thought then how awesome it would be to be able to read it for myself. There are plenty of manuscripts available online to test myself on. Getting started on this has been a bit of a difficulty; It's been hard to find time to regularly study latin, and that using only free resources. I decided that perhaps I could start by writing out a scripture and it's translation once a week and posting that on my refrigerator. We'll see how that works out in the next few weeks. Meanwhile, I'll also have a bit of practice for my calligraphy.
Today's scripture is Ps 100:1-3, the parallel Bible I'm using says it's Ps 99; I'm not sure if the vulgate just numbered differently or there was a typo. Here's the link to the Bible I'm using: http://www.latinvulgate.com/
The calligraphy for today is a bit messy 'cause I'm not feeling very good (stuffy head, sore throat...bleghhh), but it's supposed to be a basic black letter. I still have to do some more research to determine which hand would be the best to use for my persona.
Have a good day,
-Jayne

No comments:
Post a Comment