I was pleased with how things turned out, though I only made very simple things: pancakes for breakfast and a cherry cobbler. I also brought things to make a stew, but one of the other people had that same idea and also brought their propane cook stove. The stew would have been a simple heated meal since everything was pre-cooked.
The biggest thing I learned from this experience is that I really need to learn how to keep a fire going and make a good bank of coals. Luckily, I had a firestarter to help me, as I killed the fire several times trying to move the coals around the dutch oven (charcoal would have been LOTS easier). I really wish I could go to some of the civil war reenactments that Matthias get to go to. I'd love to learn from the lady who runs their camp; he always comes back with stories of all the good food he enjoyed.

As it turned out, we barely had time to enjoy the cherry cobbler because a storm was moving in fast about that time. It was a simple recipe: two cans of cherry pie filling put in the bottom of the dutch oven then topped with two boxes of (dry)cake mix. Spoonfuls of butter were dropped around over the top to melt down in as the dutch oven got hot. The idea is that the moisture from the cherry filling will spread up into the cake mix and the the butter will melt down in, meeting in the middle to form a tasty gooey cobbler top. Everybody seemed to love it, though I think it was a bit too sweet. I'd use unsweetened fruit for this in the future.

Ummmm...um! Yummy
-Jayne

No comments:
Post a Comment