Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Spindle Adventures

Of course I had to bring my spinning and knitting projects along on our camping trip. Spinning in particular is a great camp-fire craft. I don't have to really see what I'm doing and the firelight illuminates the fiber beautifully as I'm drawing it out into yarn.

Early Saturday morning, the guys headed out to start Elias' first fly fishing lesson. Being the tag-a-long that I am, I grabbed my basket and joined them. We came to a place where a smaller (but fast moving) stream joined the river. There were a series of small islands and rapids there. The guys were wearing waders and were going to cross over to a still pool near one of the rapids. Foolishly and impulsively I asked to be carried over to the first island. With equal foolishness and excessive gallantry, our friend, Strazhek scooped me up. Half way across we all discovered this was a BAD idea as the swift moving water nearly swept his feet out from under us several times. It was with a big sigh of relief that I stood again on the gravely shore.



The guys continued on their way and had a great time fishing. I thoroughly enjoyed my time on the little island, taking pictures of the white water, river plants, mossy rocks, and a blooming thistle bush. I also made some progress on the black walnut merino blend yarn I'm spinning.



After an hour and a half or so, Strazhek came trudging through the water. He'd broken his line and was headed back to camp. He offered me a ride back, as Elias was likely to be another hour (he really loved fly-fishing and is already planning when we can try it again).

I was really dreading the trip back across, but couldn't very well stay where I was indefinitely so I put my camera in the zip-lock bag with my fiber and off we went. We nearly went swimming in the cold, cold water and I almost dropped my basket once, but made it across again. Another sigh of relief! That was fun, but I wasn't going to do it again! Looking down in my basket, I notice that my spindle was missing......OH NO!!!

We looked for it all along the bank, hoping it had caught in the brush, but had no luck. About halfway back to the campsite I saw something out in the water, bobbing merrily along.



The water was way to deep to retrieve it, but I followed it for a while and saw that further down the way the river slowed down and became more shallow. Strazhek felt bad about loosing my spindle (though it wasn't his fault at all) and waded out to get it. Wouldn't you know, that ornery spindle was having so much fun it scooted just out of reach. Being a determined fellow, Strazhek finally caught it but not before his waders had completely filled with water.



After making a big breakfast of pancakes for the spindle rescuer (well, every-body else too, but he was first in line), I wound off the wet wool around a chair. Everything soon dried out and I was back to spinning that afternoon.




I'm going to get a water-proof back pack!

-Jayne

1 comment:

Sarah said...

It sounds like you all had a great time camping.