Back in October, I finished a baby kimono for Bella. It's made in easy to care for acrylic with a crochet edging in cotton/wool.

I seem to have been on a baby-kick these last few months. This pair of "sneakerbooties" was made for another friend's newborn back in September.

This is a set made for a fellow SCAdian's newborn. The booties were designed to look like medieval turn-shoes and the hat is an adaption of the monmouth cap. The items were soaked in black walnut dye for about a week. I think I like the results from dyeing in the wool best, but this is still a nice color.

Next up is a very silly hat made for a very silly nephew. Another one is currently in the works for his little brother.

I've also been experimenting with pokeberries as a fiber dye. It is a notoriously fugitive dyeplant, but I'm stubborn. This is the first batch. I soaked the berries in pure vinegar than added acid crystals (double the amount one would use for a gallon of pickles). Apparently that wasn't enough to make the color stick. My sample left in a window has already faded considerably. It's still a neat color, but not the vibrant magenta you see here:

I have another batch of this that just started it's light test. At day 2 it's still looking pretty good.
I've also just finished the chocolate angora fiber that I was spinning. It is going to be a slouchy hat for a niece.
-Jayne

No comments:
Post a Comment