I didn't take this one; it is the image in an advertisement that I saw over the weekend. There were already two others that had expressed interest in buying this wheel, so I figured I didn't have a chance at it. However, when I showed it to Elias, he asked it I'd written to see if it was still available, and insisted that if I wanted it that I'd better write quick. Well, I did and there was a reply waiting in my inbox this morning. The other interested parties were just looking and she hadn't been claimed yet. The seller and his wife both work in fiber arts and have been doing 18th cent re-enacting for 30 years. He just really enjoys buying old wheels and restoring them. I probably couldn't have gotten one off ebay for the price he was asking, then would have had no way of knowing if it was functional. If that wasn't awesome enough, he even offered to send enough flax to dress the distaff so soon I will be spinning straw into gold :)

She's a saxony style wheel, too late period to be "right" for my SCA personna, but perfect for civil war era & pioneer days demonstrations.
I'm just beside myself with anticipation!
-Jayne

No comments:
Post a Comment