Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Rennaissance Days Fighting

As I mentioned yesterday, the fighting scenarios added lots of interest to the day's activities. The Blade Runners who are a mercenary group (the ones dressed in maroon tunics) were the bad guys. Everybody else was the bodyguard force for an important dignitary who must be delivered safely to the finish point to win the battle. The dignitary was restricted to only defending himself and only with a buckler and dagger. There were 5 different terrains where skirmishes were to be fought: the road through the woods, a gate-house, over a bridge, across a field, and finally breaking through a siege into the keep.






In between rounds of fighting, I was there to make sure my fighter kept properly hydrated. This is the only picture I've got of both of us; unfortunately, neither of us are greatly photogenic.


Good friends after a good day of fighting side by side:


I also was given quite a compliment, especially since I rarely think of myself as a "cute young chick" anymore. In SCA fighting, it is common to have a "resurrection point," often there are not enough fighters to carry on a full battle, so as they are killed they walk to this point then rejoin the fighting as reinforcements. On one side of the field there was a handy post to serve that purpose, but the other side of the field just had little ol' me getting set to take pictures. Since I was standing still, they declared me to be resurrection point for that side. Immediately, there were mock cries of "no fair....we're gonna WANT to die, just to see her" and "Ha, Ha, you guys get a light post; we get a cute young chick." Wow! talk about giving a girl something to smile about! Talking about this later, my sweetheart explained to me that I did look rather fetching in my outfit :)

-Jayne

No comments: