Last Tuesday I stopped in at the jewelry store in town (I used to work there designing in wax for casting) to say "HI" to the owner and chat while getting several rings cleaned. He's one of the few people I know in our town with a real creative flair and love for art. Often when I visit he brings out his current projects to show off or hands me some awesome stone he's just gotten in a shipment (once he just dropped a huge champagne diamond in my hands!) This time, he had an idea for me to work on. He had a magazine picture that he liked some elements of and wanted me to paint something like it to decorate his showroom.
This is a sketch for that painting:

Key features of the painting will include:
Dark shadows with lighting from the right,
sumptuous fabrics,
gleaming carved wood details,
pale, silky dress drapery,
and, of course, lustrous pearl jewelry -this is for a jewelry store after all!
The pose is modeled after an Alphonse Mucha poster.
Mr. Jeweler loves antique designs; much of his work is inspired by Victorian and art nouveau motifs.
I haven't decided what kind of top to give her, something short sleeved and lacy probably.
Tomorrow I'll fill ya in on my adventures at the alpaca farm yesterday,
-Jayne
No comments:
Post a Comment