Thursday, April 9, 2009

Thursday Sketch

Once again, I left this to the last minute! Of course, I don't really work well under pressure, so I couldn't think of what to paint. Finally I remembered this sketch I'd done out at Mr. Mac's goat farm on the first warm day of the year a few weeks ago. I had intended to go back and add color and try to give the water a bit of depth, so this worked out perfectly with my day.


One of the things I liked about the scene when I was sketching was the shimmer of late afternoon light on the water around the floating leaf. I had been frustrated by not being able to capture that. With the paints I was able to add some of those details.
I really enjoy sketching in this little book. It's a 6" square journal book made of handmade paper. My sweetie got it for me nearly two years ago. I tried keeping a nature journal in it but only made 4 or 5 entries. I'm glad I'm able to keep up better with this online journal. I think the difference is that I've got a sense of accountability; I know Dad'll say something if I skip too many days :)

As always be sure to visit over at Reclaiming the Home later in the day to see everybody else's contributions.

Maybe I should start on next week's painting today

-Jayne

PS: Hi Miranda, nice chatting with you today!

1 comment:

Makarios said...

Sarah got that right... I (her Dad) check every night after work to see the latest.