
(click to view larger)
I'll edit this post tomorrow to add in more information about the sources and inspiration for the scroll.
Ok, the white work scroll border (which has many layers of washes -all the subtlety is lost in the scanning) is from Ms W 767, Fol196v in the Walters Art Gallery. The book I saw this in doesn't include any other info, but from the decorative style and clothes from the image, it appears to be mid to late 1400's.
The tournament scene is copied from another manuscript, unfortunately, this one I found and saved online and didn't get the documentation for.
The idea for the swirls in the background came from an image of Sir Geoffrey Luttrell on horse back saying farewell to his lady -from the Lutrell psalter (1340)
The calligraphy hand is my favorite, Gothic Textura Quadriata, aka Black letter.
-Jayne

No comments:
Post a Comment