Saturday, March 21, 2009

Aunt Bertha's Biscuits

The extra edge my Mom had in the biscuit bake-off was the recipe from her Great Aunt Bertha. If I remember correctly, she was the sister of my Grandfather's (on Mom's side) Mother. Aunt Bertha lived next door to my Mom's childhood home and was remembered as one of the family's best cooks. She used a wood burning stove most of her life; her cooking was never the same when her kids/grand kids insisted that she switch to a more modern oven. Here she is on her porch sometime in the '60's:



The recipe card my Mom used has really seen some use:

Mom prefers to use butter flavored Crisco and she also adds powdered buttermilk and water instead of the milk. Instead of rolling out, Mom just drops by spoonfuls on a baking sheet.

The best compliment to the biscuits is this yummy recipe for what we always called "Chicken Stuff". This recipe came from Mary Bryant, whom I can't remember right now. Maybe Mom could fill us in on the origin of this hearty & tasty meal.


(Click to view larger) Notes made to this recipe include omitting the flour, butter, and ham and adding a can of cheddar cheese soup. This makes a good crock-pot meal. If you want to give this one a try and can't make out the writing, let me know and I'll copy it out for you.

Hope every one's having a great day; I sure did. We slept in 'till 11:00 and haven't done a lick of work today. I did a lot of spinning while we watched animaniacs on youtube.

-Jayne

No comments: