

Once mixed, Grandma had to test the dough:

In addition to dueling recipes, we also had different forming techniques to compare:


Into the oven:


Golden brown and ready for the taste test:


The main meal: biscuits with "chicken stuff", this was one of our family's favorite meals. We always just called it chicken stuff; it's real name is Chicken Via Veneto. I will share the recipe for it and the winning biscuits later this week.

The butter and honey test:

The butter and jelly test:

All the judges were generous in their praise for both types of biscuits. The texture and crumbly nature of Mom's made them best suited to soaking up the chicken stuff sauce. My biscuits were declared to be more user-friendly with the honey and jelly tests; being easier to eat with hands and less likely to crumble leaving you with sticky fingers and jelly down your shirt. In general, though, I think everyone was leaning towards Mom's family recipe. Elias' very analytical findings sided with Mom's too, citing the lingering sweet taste at the back of the mouth as the deciding factor.
We nearly went into sudden-death overtime when a further test of strawberry shortcake was mentioned. In the end, everybody was stuffed full and couldn't even think about dessert for hours. I guess that's the best test, and we both passed that one with flying colors.

Thanks Mom & Dad and Grandma for visiting; I had such a great time with you all!
-Jayne

4 comments:
Such a cute post! I would love the recipe, it all looked very tasty!
I LOVE this idea! What a wonderful time, to have grandma, mom and you all together, cooking and all the judging (would have loved to be in on that!) Yum!
FUN! Those are the special times you keep in your heart. What a lovely thing to share.
Grandma always has to taste the dough! XD :p
Post a Comment