Monday, March 2, 2009

Good Eats

In addition to the Blog-a-day challenge, Kristin,the moderator of the Reclaiming the Home group on Ravelry, has also begun a Bake-a-long. Every day she posts a new recipe to try, and we all make it as we are able, sharing tips on substitutions or giving comments on how the recipe worked. I'm a little behind, but that just gives me a day or two to learn from what everybody else is doing and a chance to pick up any ingredients I don't have.

Day 1: Buttermilk biscuits from http://www.recipezaar.com/1960-Original-Kentucky-Buttermilk-Biscuit-201094

This is a very quick, easy recipe. The first time I made this, I rolled it out too thin, but it was still good and they were gobbled up for snack with butter and jelly on them. I made another batch Saturday, and rolled it out thicker and we made sandwiches out of them with bacon and cheese.


Day 2: Grape Muffins from http://www.recipezaar.com/Grape-Muffins-144141

It just so happened that I had just the right amount of grapes left over that were starting to dry up and get wrinkly (why is it no one will finish off the last of these kinds of things) These muffins tasted great, and they were sweet, fluffy and moist. I made another batch later in the week with cinnamon spiced apples.

Day3: Beer Bread from http://www.recipezaar.com/Beer-Bread-19056


For this bread, I substituted a coke for the beer. It was a bit weird stirring in fizzy soda into the flour. The resulting loaf had a very crispy crust and dense chewy inside. It sliced much better than the picture shows after it cooled. I never can wait for it to cool before I have my first taste; bread should always be eaten hot and steaming from the oven, right?

Day 4 was peanut butter cookies; they're not a favorite in my house, so I just skipped them as we were pretty busy over the weekend.

Day 5 is a family recipe for Hot rolls; it sounds really good, so I'll be making them tonight

Hope you've had a good day, see ya tomorrow.
-Jayne

4 comments:

KR said...

yum! Everything looks delicious! :) Way to go with the challenges! :)

Can't wait to see what you do with this weeks challenges too. :)

hugs!

Kristin
http://reclaimingthehome.typepad.com

Sarah said...

Everything looks so tasty.

bethanyg said...

mmmm! Wow, you did lots of them! Tasty.

Shanta Hayes said...

Those biscuits look great! When I first saw them, I was like, Ummm, those look good, now I know that they're just thinly rolled biscuits I am so going to make some. My daughter loves to eat them just the way you have them pictured.